Chalk Paint™ isn’t only for indoors. You can also update your outdoor furniture with a lick of paint – perhaps your garden chairs or even a decorative bench – for those balmy summer days enjoyed in the garden. The trick to creating a painted finish that lasts is in choosing the right varnish. Chalk Paint™ Lacquer is not only hard-wearing, but it also has built-in UV protection – so whichever paint colour you choose, you know it will stay vibrant and last longer.
Once you’ve followed this tutorial to protecting your paintwork outdoors, you’ll see just how straightforward it is to create a lasting finish. Just remember to make sure every part of your garden furniture is varnished to stop any water getting in – this will ensure complete protection from the elements and prolong the life of the paint.
Step by step guide to protecting painted garden furniture
- Paint your piece of outdoor furniture with Chalk Paint™ and allow to dry.
- Give the Chalk Paint™ Lacquer a good stir and either work straight from the tin or decant into a paint tray.
- Apply the varnish using a Flat Brush for a completely smooth finish or a Chalk Paint™ Brush if you have tricky areas to reach into. Whichever brush you choose, be sure to fully cover the chair, not just the bits you can see.
- *Top tip*: start by varnishing the your piece of furniture upside down – this will make covering every surface easier.
- Once completed, allow a few hours for the first coat of Lacquer to dry. While you wait, be sure to wash your brush out in warm, soapy water.
- Apply a second thin coat of Lacquer.
- Make sure the Lacquer has had time to fully cure (up to 2 weeks) before subjecting it to the rain and elements outside. Store painted furniture indoors or under cover during the winter to prolong its life.
Working with Chalk Paint™ Lacquer is a simple way to add a layer of protection to your outdoor furniture. Not only that, it will help keep your colours as strong and vibrant as the day you painted them. For more tips on working with this varnish, take a look at our Chalk Paint™ Lacquer Fact Sheet. Now that you’re ready to give your garden furniture a makeover, be sure to purchase all the materials you need from your local Annie Sloan Stockist.