So you’ve just painted a piece of furniture with Chalk Paint™ but it’s looking a little too ‘new’ for your tastes. How do you age your paintwork in a matter of minutes, rather than years? It’s easier than you think! The secret is in working with Dark Chalk Paint™ Wax. This will instantly age the paint, creating an authentic antique look. You can then use Clear Chalk Paint™ Wax as a sort of magic eraser to wipe back any parts that appear too dark – creating exactly the right level of ageing to suit your style.
When it comes to sanding, you’re trying to recreate the natural wear and tear a piece of furniture will sustain. Focus on those places your furniture will naturally get knocked or handled. When you’re finished, people will think that dresser has been passed down from generation to generation – not painted yesterday!
Step by step guide to ageing your paintwork for an antique effect
- Apply a coat of Chalk Paint™, moving the brush in all directions.
- Apply Clear Chalk Paint™ Wax with a brush, working the wax into the paint like hand cream and removing any excess as you go with a lint-free cloth.
- Sand the paint back a little using a fine or medium-grit sandpaper until you achieve the finish you always imagined.
- To age the paintwork further, use Dark Chalk Paint™ Wax. Work it into your (still wet) Clear Wax and spread. Wax small areas at a time, and remove excess wax with Clear Wax as you go.
- Finish by making sure that every part of your furniture has been waxed at least once with a lint-free cloth.
- Allow the wax to cure (harden) before use. It will be touch dry within 24 hours, but will take up to 2 weeks to fully harden. You can use it during this time, but just be gentle.
Ageing your paintwork is a great way to create add unique character to your furniture. Maybe your working with mass-produced pine furniture or perhaps something you found at a junk shop that just isn’t to your taste. Either way you can make that piece of furniture your own by following these steps. Your brushstrokes are what makes that furniture feels all that more special to you. Not only that you can make it feel like it’s been yours for decades, not days!
Ready to get started? Each Annie Sloan Stockist is trained to offer you workshops and practical advice on this and other techniques using Chalk Paint™. When you’re done, take a picture of your finished project and share it with the Annie Sloan community using #AnnieSloan.