Bring your own small piece of furniture or 2 small wooden kitchen cabinet doors to our creative studio space. Use our materials and tools, and we will walk you through the process to a finished piece or updating your kitchen.
What we cover:
- Basic paint application How to get the paint on your piece correctly, including some old painting habits you’ll need to break, etc.
- Distressing This isn’t for everyone, but we’ll cover the best methods and techniques as well as where distressing looks best on furniture. In the interest of time, distressing will be restricted to edges only. If you’re interested in heavier distress, please plan on making those adjustments to your piece at home.
- Clear Wax How to seal and protect your furniture with Clear Chalk Paint® Wax, including what tools are best as well as our expert tips and tricks.
- Dark, Black, and White Waxes Get the facts on aging and adding patina with Annie Sloan’s colored waxes. Please plan on detail waxing during the workshop only. Heavy or all-over accent waxing can be demonstrated, but because we are limited on time, please plan on adding more wax to your piece at home.
- Aftercare Learn the importance of letting your finish cure, and how to care for and maintain your finished piece once you get it home.
- Bring a small piece of furniture (with a footprint NO LARGER than 24″ x 20″) or two small kitchen cabinet doors. Suggestions are a small side table, or perhaps a cupboard door or drawer from a larger piece you’d like to paint at home. No chairs please! We need to make sure there is enough room for everyone, so please be considerate. If you can’t carry the piece in by yourself, unassisted, and in one trip, it’s TOO BIG! We reserve the right to refuse pieces too large for completion in this workshop and will reschedule you for another date.
- This workshop is for wooden furniture or cabinets only. Due to extra drying time requirements, laminate, melamine, ceramic and metal surfaces are not allowed.
- Please bring a piece for interior use. Waxing is essential to a successful piece, and outdoor pieces are never sealed with wax.
- Pieces that have slats, multiple spindles, or shutters take a lot time! Best to avoid bringing them.
- You will choose ONE Chalk Paint® color from our fabulous 44 color choices. Sorry, no custom color mixing or layering colors in this class! (You can learn those techniques in our Techniques I workshop.)
- Workshop fee is PER PERSON. That means you can’t bring your BFF, soulmate, children, Mom, etc.
- No mirrors or glass. Accidents happen, which we want to avoid!
Just bring yourself and your SMALL piece of furniture (see above details). You will be using our paint and supplies! Try to arrive 15 minutes early. It helps to move things along if you have a color in mind, but we can help you if you’re undecided. This is a hands-on workshop, please come dressed to paint!
The fee for this class is $95, prepayment is required. This workshop ends promptly after 4 hours. If you require extra time to complete your piece, you will be charged an additional fee of $50 per hour, with a maximum of 2 hours.