Your painting technique can influence the overall look of your painted furniture, just as much as your choice of colour. You might prefer textured paintwork, perhaps even chippy or distressed. But there are other times where you’ll want to get a silky smooth finish. The beauty with using Chalk Paint® is that you can use it to achieve different effects with minimal effort.
In these step-by-step instructions, you’ll learn how to use Chalk Paint® for a smooth, modern finish. No heavy brush marks or texture here!
Step by step guide to getting a smooth finish with Chalk Paint®
- Sand the surface of your piece of furniture with medium-grit paper to smooth out any prominent textures.
- Add a little water to your tin of Chalk Paint®.
- Apply the paint with a Flat Brush, working in the same direction as the grain.
- *Optional* When the paint is dry, use fine sandpaper – 600-grit or higher – to buff the finished surface.
- Apply Clear Chalk Paint® Wax with a lint-free cloth or brush, working the wax into the paint like hand cream and removing any excess as you go.
- *Optional* Leave the wax to harden overnight and then buff with a clean cloth the next day for a polished finish.
Creating a smooth, modern finish is easy with Chalk Paint®. It’s all in the way you move your brush. Adding a little water to the paint will also help it go on smoothly and minimise brushstrokes. Once you’re ready to try this out yourself, make sure you shop your paint and materials from your local Annie Sloan Stockist. Each and every stockist is trained to offer expert guidance on this and other painting techniques using Chalk Paint®.