Some things look better with age. But if you’re dealing with new, mass-produced furniture, waiting years for your furniture to age isn’t an option. That’s where this Chalk Paint™ technique comes in. You can add oodles of character to your painted project in just a couple of hours by following these simple steps. Don’t hold back either – this isn’t about creating a refined or restrained piece of painted furniture – you’re recreating years of knocks and bumps, and natural wear and tear. When you’re finished, people will think that bedside table has been in your family for decades or that occasional table has been used for generations – not bought yesterday!
Simply arm yourself with the Chalk Paint™ colour of your choice and some Chalk Paint™ Wax. For extra age and deeper cracks, bring out a hairdryer too!
Step by step guide to creating a rustic, chipped paint effect
- Leave the paint in the fridge for a few hours to get it really thick.
- Paint two coats (or even three in some parts), working the brush in every direction, and leave to dry. If you want to achieve really big cracks, use a hairdryer to speed the drying process.
- One the paint has dried, apply Clear Chalk Paint™ Wax with a lint-free cloth or brush, working the wax into the paint like hand cream and removing any excess as you go.
- To create chips in the paint, ‘knock’ the paint off in places with a piece of folded sandpaper.
- *Optional* For a great antique look, use Dark Chalk Paint™ Wax. Work it into your (still wet) Clear Chalk Paint™ Wax and spread. Wax small areas at a time, and remove excess wax with Clear Wax as you go.
- Finish by making sure that every part of your furniture has been waxed at least once with a lint-free cloth.
- Allow the wax to cure (harden) before use. It will be touch dry within 24 hours, but will take up to 2 weeks to fully harden. You can use it during this time, but just be gentle.
So there you have it. The secret to adding years to your paintwork in the space of minutes. Follow this guide and remember that the thicker the paint, the better. That lovely textured paint will create cracks and make it easier for you to chip the paint for a natural worn appearance. Be liberal and enjoy the process! Your brushstrokes will add unique character to your furniture and create the perfect rustic effect.
Ready to get started? Each Annie Sloan Stockist is trained to offer you workshops and practical advice on this and other techniques using Chalk Paint™. When you’re done, take a picture of your finished project and share it with the Annie Sloan community using #AnnieSloan.