Annie Sloan Furniture Painting Retreat In India
This is an exclusive, once in a lifetime opportunity to join Annie in Rajasthan for five nights and six days at our totally one-of-a-kind Annie Sloan Furniture Painting Retreat in India from Wednesday 31st January 2024 to Monday 5th February 2024. The stunning venue, Bujera Fort, has been carefully chosen for its inspiring beauty, splendour, and comfort – as well as its proximity to world famous cultural landmarks.
The Retreat will be hosted by Chalk Paint inventor and colour queen, Annie Sloan herself alongside Tristan Merriam, owner of Doghead Designs & Annie Sloan Brand Ambassador. Throughout the retreat you will benefit from one-on-one guidance from Annie and Tristan and enjoy the camaraderie and joy of creative collaboration with your fellow painters in India’s “jewel in the crown”.
This 6-day Retreat includes:
• Lots of time painting, with hands on opportunities to learn from Annie, Tristan and local experts about many Chalk Paint techniques.
• Annie Sloan Techniques Workshops such as basic principles of Chalk Paint; How To Wax; How to Create Texture; Annie’s Signature Two Step Distressing Technique etc.
• You will learn about beautiful, historical decorative techniques to enhance your painting (such as Gilding, Stencilling, Decoupaging, Frottage, Craquelure, Smooth Finishes, Fabric Dyeing, Ombré/Blending, Pattern Making, Sgraffito and Mark Making).
• An Introduction to Lino Printing with Chalk Paint workshop with opportunities to experiment with this style.
• A Painting on Fabric Workshop: each guest will receive a rug that we will spend time designing and painting.
• Learning will be delivered through a combination of expert demonstrations and hands on workshops, a highly effective way to learn and refine your skills.
• Annie will be present for the duration of the Retreat with plenty of opportunities for conversation, socialising and photographs.
• You’ll have access to 1:1 tuition with Annie and Tristan
• You’ll be given the opportunity to work on small pieces that we will provide for you to upcycle such as stools, frames and boxes.
• There will a Q&A and interview with Annie, as well an opportunity to buy Annie Sloan products and have books signed.
• There will be opportunities for social media coaching, and guidance on how to maximise your online presence.
• Special guests Aashna Khosla of Paint Momzy, and Akshita Patel of Artsy Nest will be leading painting demonstrations.
• Five night’s accommodation and all catering (breakfasts, lunches and dinners plus drinks etc) is included.
• Each guest will have their own private room within the grounds of our beautiful hotel.
• Full day’s guided tour of the City of Udaipur including The City Palace, The Palace Museum and parts of the Old City
• Three yoga sessions, one massage session and one physiotherapy session per guest. You can also take advantage of other mindfulness activities during your stay
• An evening art talk
• Free cookery classes so you can learn from the Bujera Fort in-house chefs
• Transfers from Udaipur Airport
• Goody bags worth £250 for each guest.
• We also build in “downtime” to relax and engage with the beautiful surroundings.
• We will visit local places of interest such as local farmland
We are hosting this luxury retreat in Rajasthan because it’s a place that celebrates colour like no other. The province of Rajasthan is nestled away in the country’s north-western corner and is known for its stunning palaces and impressive forts that were once the backdrop for everything from Burkha soldiers to war elephants. The ornate architecture tells the tale of eras gone by, while the artisanal crafting traditions and attention to decorative detail still remains appreciated centuries later. Annie has described this region as one of the most inspiring and beautiful places she has ever visited.
Beyond the architecture and royal palaces, the vibrancy and the colour that greets you at every turn is the defining feature of Rajasthan. You will be enchanted and inspired, which is what makes this the perfect place for a creative Retreat. Throughout the history of Rajasthan, generations of kings and queens, warrior factions and religious houses have each ingrained their own sapphire, fuchsia, saffron, crimson, turquoise, indigo, or magenta into the fabric of the region; and behind each colour is a story. Familiarise yourself with these stories, choose your own colours, and discover how to create joy with them under Annie and Tristan’s expert tutelage. All Annie Sloan paints each have their own name and backstory, and so this is yet another reason why Rajasthan is such a perfect place to host our Retreat.
This Retreat is designed to cater to guests with varying degrees of experience with Chalk Paint: from total beginners to professional painters.
We hope to welcome guests from India as well as international guests too. The teaching will be delivered in English.
About Bujera Fort
In one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Bujera Fort is Udaipur’s only boutique hotel and is situated on the edge of the small village of Bujera, with distant views of the lake and city. It is a spectacular, newly built fortress, on the west side of Lake Pichola, with views of the City Palace, Lake Palace, the Monsoon Palace and Fateh Garh Castle. Just forty minutes from Udaipur airport and just a one hour flight from both Delhi and Mumbai and forty minutes from Jaipur.
Bujera Fort is constructed on purely traditional lines, with eighty six hand carved stone columns and many stone windows in locally sourced stone. Virtually all the doors and windows are salvaged, creating the feeling of being in a centuries old building.
The inspired creation of outstanding interior designer Richard Hanlon and Trish McFarlane, it has immense style and sophistication throughout. It has all the feel and atmosphere of a glorious English country house with wonderful fabrics interspersed with Indian antiques, fabrics and style. You will only find the finest quality mattresses, pillows and bed linen here, comfort being extremely important for guests. In summer there is full central air conditioning and in winter there is heating, working fireplaces and hot water bottles for those chillier winter nights.
The Fort is truly gorgeous, small, friendly and welcoming and feels like your own home, with full, but unobtrusive service and staff to make you feel totally looked after.
In the central courtyard there is a swimming pool surrounded by flower-filled gardens with many secluded areas and fountains – a dreamy place to read a book or contemplate the views…or in this case, PAINT!
Inside there is a library, a games table, a drawing room with a silver grand piano and a breakfast room for dining.
Early booking is essential to secure your place as places are limited to just 14. The total cost of the retreat is £3200 (318,568 Indian Rupees).
Tickets are non-refundable. If, in the unlikely scenario that the retreat is cancelled, you will be refunded 100% of ticket price. If you have PayPal, there are options to split payments at checkout. Booking here.